Thursday, April 5, 2007

Holy Week

Since it is Holy Week, with Easter just a few short days away, I’d thought I’d share with you a few of my perceptions and beliefs encompassing this sacred time in the Christian calendar. Many of you might find this difficult, if not impossible to believe, but Gadabout finds a great deal of peace and spiritual awareness during Lent and its conclusion of Holy Week and Easter. My hunger for the communion is never greater than during these few weeks. For me, it is a period of reflection and harmony, a time of stillness and prayer, and an opportunity for self examination.

The forty-six days of Lent is the center piece of beliefs and remembrances of sacrifice, the crucifixion and rising from the dead. Beginning with Ash Wednesday, we are reminded of the sacrifices made by Jesus on his lonely journey. On Palm Sunday, we read the Passion of Christ and relive the Gospels as written by Luke, Mark, John and Matthew. These are powerful accounts and are very emotionally challenging for me because of the overwhelming presence of the Holy Spirit I feel surrounding me when reading them.

With Holy Thursday (today), we are brought into Christ’s final teachings at the last super with the washing of the feet (a powerful tradition and teaching) of the Apostles, prediction of the betrayal of Judas and the institution of the Holy Eucharist. Whenever I hear the words, “do this in memory of me,” I am brought to my knees.

Tomorrow, we will observe Good Friday, when we acknowledge the horrific suffering and death of Christ on the cross, and the fulfillment of the prophecies. This Sunday, we cheerfully celebrate a risen Christ and a new beginning for all.

I am not a model Christian and catholic, but I do believe in the mysteries and cherish our centuries old traditions of peace and a risen God. This is an immensely important and historic time in our Christian calendar. Try taking a moment to reflect on your own personal beliefs and what Easter means to you and for all mankind.

No comments: